Saturday, August 19, 2006

And So It Begins

Well, I got the two Toms (Tom's climbing partner's name is also Tom) off to the airport at 6:30 this morning and thus began my week as a single woman. You would think that after 10+ years of living by myself that I wouldn't feel at such a loss, but no... The house is too quiet (the cat is taking her evening walk outside). A somewhat long weekend is stretching out in front me. What to do? What to do?

I walked down to the farmers market this morning and picked up the usual extra-hot salsa, corn, peaches, blueberries, and tomatoes. I love our farmers' market. While only one vendor is organic, I think the others try to minimize their use of chemicals. At least that's what I like to believe. Then later this morning, I drove to Funkstown to visit Susan and her yarn shop, Y2Knit. It's been months since I've visited. She has some new yarns in and there was some unexpected stash enhancement. Not soon after I arrived, a local sheep raiser walked in with a 10-pound bag of roving. My little ears perked up so fast! "Roving!" said I, "You've got roving?" Yes, he did, about eight bags full.

He raises Jacob sheep. You can get more information about the sheep here. The sheep produce a medium grade wool and the wool that I purchased is a nice heathered gray. So what the heck am I going to do with 10 pounds of roving? Practice my spinning. And then spin up enough yarn to knit Sally Melville's Einstein Coat from Book 1: The Knit Stitch. I should be finished with that project in about 20 years.

I finally found the yarn for my sister-in-law's (last) Christmas sweater. It's Twize (a bamboo yarn) in color Twocean. This yarn is so soft! The original sweater idea flew out the window and I've opted instead to knit a sleeveless shell, the Lots-of-Choices Top from the same Sally Melville book. Given that Linda and Pete are building a house in the Abacos, the shell idea is a bit more practical than a wool sweater. There's not much need for wool in the Bahamas.

What's on tap for this evening? I'll be listening to Traditions with Mary Cliff and knitting the scarf for my One Skein secret pal, and swatching up the Twize Twocean. Who knows, if insomnia strikes again tonight, I just might start working on my Leaves of Grass socks for the Mystery Sock Knit Along. The yarn and needles are at the ready!

2 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

I've been working my way slowly through four pounds of Jacob for a while now. Sadly,the fiber is lovely but has more vm than I've seen in a washed fleece in a long time. This sheep clearly got out more than I do! I envy your nice nice clean roving as I do love Jacob wool! Happy spinning.

msubulldog said...

Ha, ha. I often come up with projects that I think will take me 20 years to finish. And I can already tell I'm going to be playing with the pronounciation of Twize Twocean all day. *grin*