This weekend the Sock of the Caribbean went from this:
I ripped it all out and started over. It just wasn't happening for me, or for my husband's foot. I wasn't at all pleased with the heel and it really was too loose. The tension wasn't good. So I measured Tom's foot again and decided that he has a medium foot, not a large one. And maybe this time, I'll get the yarn over short row technique right.
I had a dentist appointment at lunch today and took the sock to work with me, thinking I'd knit while waiting for the dentist (I knit all of three stitches). It took all my willpower to resist the siren call of the sock. It would have been so much more satisfying to see the sock develop in my hands than it was to try to effectively communicate that the project right now is a high-risk project. But it's very hard to quantify the unknown and I didn't get the outcome I wanted. In short, my expectations weren't met, leading to an unhappy work experience. I need to keep reminding myself to be attached to the process (I explained the risk of the unknown as best I could), not the outcome (we're shipping product, and are accepting the risk). I need to try to let it go. My fear (and it's just that,a fear) is that the customer is going to have a less than satisfactory experience. Ah, well...que sera, sera.
On top of that, it feels like I'm developing tendonitis in my shoulder. That would be a bad thing...I've just started running again, I've reached my goal weight, the weight training is going swimmingly, and a new yoga session starts next week. Tendonitis would put a major crimp in all of those activities. I think ibuprofen and ice will be my friends for the next several days.
Jez has the right idea: