Friday, April 28, 2006

Weariness

I'm glad this week is over as it has been a rollercoaster of emotions, mostly down. Sometimes events just become too much and the defense is to roll up in a ball and pull the covers over your head. It isn't just my mother's cancer diagnosis that's causing me to feel like this. It's everything that's happening in the world--the conflicts, the environment, everything. It's our Administration and their extreme short-sightedness and cultural ignorance; it's the hatred that seems to be rife in the Middle East and Sudan, and elsewhere.

This feeling will eventually pass, but in the meantime, things are looking pretty bleak.

I need my flannel jammies and a warm blankie.

I stayed up until almost 11:30 last night reading Wendy Knits--My Never-Ending Adventures in Yarn. I just finished it (okay, I got sidetracked while writing this entry). It's a quick, entertaining read and is essentially an autobiography of a knitter. It's humorous (especially the Bad-Ass Knitters' Kitties' Manifesto). And the patterns provide inspiration. As does Wendy's blog. Wander on over there and check out her tiger socks. As Tony (the Tiger) would say "They're GRRRRREAT!"

I feel a stash enhancement coming on. I have been a tiger fan ever since I was a wee child when I was allowed to choose a toy for my first birthday. My choice? A stuffed sleeping tiger. It was the only thing in the entire toy store that I wanted. I still have it, too, but most of the fur has long been loved off and the stuffing is a bit...er...crunchy. But it's still my tiger. So clearly, the Opal Rainforest Tiger yarn is meant for me.

But wait, there's more. There Opal Rainforest Flamingo yarn. I love birds. And flamingos are special because of the Annual Goodtime Boogie. So clearly, the Opal Rainforest Flamingo yarn is meant for me, too!

Tom is off climbing this weekend; he'll be back tomorrow night. This would be a perfect time for a little stash acquisition. I could take a field trip to Knit Happens, get some yarn, meet Wendy (who's signing books from noon to 2pm)...or I could wait until Maryland Sheep and Wool next weekend. I think that's probably the better option.

Okay, I'm rambling. Time to sign off and get some tinking done. I'd close with a picture of my tiger, but it appears that Tom took the camera climbing with him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there. Try to get yourself centered, and in a good place. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sheepish Annie said...

Yup...it is time to add to the stash. No question about it! You may even want to go meet Wendy AND get more at the festival. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. So sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. You're right, early detection is the key here!