Thursday, April 27, 2006

We Interrupt This Blog

...to bring you an important public service announcement...

Okay, ladies. I have to ask you a very important question. When was your last mammogram? If it was last year, good for you. Be sure to get one this year, if you are at the "get a yearly mammogram" stage of life. If it's been two or more years? Call or visit your doctor and have her write an order for a mammogram, schedule it, and don't miss the appointment.

"Hmmm..." you are probably thinking, "This is isn't about knitting. What's up?"

You're right, today's blog is not about knitting. It's about breast cancer. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer last week. It's very early, very contained, and the prognosis is pretty good. They found it with a mammogram, which my mother has done every year.

It's scary that it's in my family. It's scary that my mom has it. But what is even scarier is the number of women I know who have had breast cancer. According to breastcancer.org, breast cancer incidence in women is one in seven. I know (or know of) more than a dozen women who have had breast cancer.

So please, stay current with the mammograms, learn what you can about breast cancer prevention, and take good care of you. After all, you want to be knitting for a really long time, right?

We now return you to the blog in progress...

A New Arrival
It arrived! It shipped yesterday and arrived today! Wendy's new book arrived. I'm on p. 35 (it's sitting here next to my computer). So far, it's a good read. It's not laugh-out-loud-funny (well, not yet, anyway), the way Yarn Harlot's bookbookbooks are. But it's chatty and engaging and a very pleasant read. And I've already gotten some ideas about One Skein (hee hee).

In knitting news? I'm afraid there hasn't been much activity this week. Mom's diagnosis (coupled with the wrong time of the month...or maybe it's the other way 'round) put me in a major funk. I'm climbing out and should be back to my normal knitting self soon. I tried knitting the Jenna sleeve on Monday and managed to complete four rows, but it was not a pleasant four rows. It was "tarry" and slow and I kept making mistakes. The baby blanket didn't fare well, either. I decided to tink and was doing right well until I got to a certain "sl 1, k2tog, psso." I tinked wrong and now I've got two weird stitches. I'm hoping they'll right themselves on the next row, as well as a third weird stitch that emerged when I picked up the dropped stitch. Sigh...

Click your heels together and repeat after me: There's nothing like the process, there's nothing like the process, there's nothing like the process...

1 comment:

Joan said...

I am religiously in getting regular mammograms and good for you for spreading the work. I'm sorry to hear about your mother but am keeping good thoughts.