Saturday, March 17, 2007

Sucker Punch

This week has been full of contrasts. The weather progressively warmed up, reaching close to 80 degrees by mid-week. Once again it was so nice to not have to wear a coat. The crocuses are still blooming and they are now joined by the daffodils. Yes, Spring is here at last! So what if there's a little bit lot of rain in the forecast for the end of the week?

When I left for work on Friday, it was raining. Then the rain started to splat on the windshield. The wet stuff kept up all day. A friend in Front Royal reported that it was snowing like mad there. At 3:30, Tom called me at work to tell me that I might want to leave, since it was sleeting heavily. By 5:00, our backyard looked like this:



After all was said and done, we got about three inches of sleet and snow. Our backyard is once again a winter wonderland. Technically it's still winter, I guess, but I'm finally ready for warmer weather.

Knitting Progress
None. Seriously. I might have knit two rows on the Christine sweater this week. I've been truly slug-like. In addition to continuing my non-exercise program, I've also neglected my 5:30 a.m. knitting sessions. Even though I'm enjoying what I'm knitting (mostly), I get overwhelmed when I think about how much more I have to knit on each of the projects. And then there's the finishing, which when I think about it makes me want to crawl into a hole, whimpering at the potential mind-numbingness of it all. The sweaters are knit with fingering (maybe sport weight at best) cotton. That's pretty fine and makes for a lot of sewing up.

In order to keep from being overwhelmed (which isn't working so well), I'm setting little goals. Knit four rows; knit an entire color band; knit another inch. Don't think about all of the other unfinished projects laying around that are beginning to clamor to be finished. Don't think about all of the yummy yarn in the stash, which is also making itself heard. Add to that the techniques that I want to learn. Where's a Libran to start?

Here's the current state of the Christine sweater:



And here is the state of our daffodils:





Happy St. Patrick's Day!

2 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

This was really an impressive storm! To go from singing in the truck with the sunroof open to shoveling it out of a snowbank has been a bit disorienting!

But I've enjoyed having a day to stay in and spin. This has, of course, hindered the knitting progress, but what the heck. It's a hobby, right? It should be fun so I'll do it again when it feels fun!

Mia said...

It is amazing what happens on the other side of the river. We also started with snow than sleet with a little bit of ice and finally snow. And more snow. And more snow. Of course the under layer was slush. It was pretty easy to shovel this morning.. I went to Thurmont late this afternoon and saw huge pools of water in the middle of the fields surrounded by snow. Maybe there won't be a water probem this summer.