I joined SP 10 a while back. I just read the rules again and discovered that I should have posted the answers by the end of February. Oops...
So without further ado, here are the questions and my answers.
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I absolutely do not like to knit with acrylic. I find that I like all natural fibers. My most favorite yarn ever was Adrienne Vitadini Martina, which was a combination of merino and silk. Yum!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
I use the Ashland Sky needle sacks. They're great and actually hold more needles than you'd think.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I've been knitting seriously for the last 4 or 5 years and would consider my skill level to be intermediate. My mother originally taught me when I was about 9, which was a feat because I'm left-handed and she's right-handed. Unfortunately, it didn't stick and many decades went by before I picked up the needles again. My knitting really took off when I learned how to knit Continental.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
I have a wish list on Amazon; you might be able to access it here.
5. What's your favorite scent?
Vanilla, patchouli, or citrus. I tend to be sensitive to most scents. A lot of scents react poorly with my body chemistry, so I rarely wear perfumes. Patchouli is an exception.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Dark chocolate and the darker the better! I find that ginger and dark chocolate go really well together.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I spin, but not as much as I'd like. I used to do counted cross stitch and dabbled with crochet for a while. I made a mosaic once and that was a lot of fun. And I'd love to try beading. Oh, and weave. I have a small 4-harness Harrisville loom that's been neglected for decades.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
My music tastes are pretty eclectic. I like most everything from baroque to rap, with the exception of pop country music. I do like bluegrass, however. I suspect my laptop can play MP3s, but have no clue about the stereo.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I tend towards blues, greens, and reds. I have colors that aren't my favorites, but try to keep an open mind about them. I keep hoping that working with other colors will improve my color sense.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married, no children. One young cat.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I wear scarves, hats if I can find any that looks good on me, and mittens. I'm not a big poncho fan, but again, I'm willing to change my mind.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Hmmm...that's hard, since I tend to be a process knitter. Socks are fun and so are mittens and hats. I have a love/hate relationship with sweaters, baby blankets, and scarves.
13. What are you knitting right now?
Far too many things! Two sweaters for my nieces, a scarf for my husband, a shell for my sister-in-law, and a couple pairs of socks for me. See the WIPS section in my sidebar for the complete list (and also for the list of UFOs).
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Absolutely! Those are my favorite kinds of gifts.
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
It depends on the project. I find that I rarely knit with straights these days. I knit socks on DPNs. I use metal or wood/bamboo needles depending on the yarn. My favorite needles are Brittany and Addi turbos, although I've heard good things about Lantern Moon and the Knit Picks Options.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I own both; I don't think I'd be able to survive without them.
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
You don't want to know. Several years old.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Sad to say, but I don't really have one. I'd say Christmas, if it weren't for the commercialism and the pressure of buying (and receiving) tons of gifts.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
Yarn? Although my stash is relatively small.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I subscribe to Interweave Knits, Knitters, and Knitty. See my wish list for other books. I'm particularly enamored with Elizabeth Zimmerman and Barbara Walker's stitch dictionaries.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I recently learned Swedish twined knitting. I want to work on more lace. I seem to be drawn to ethnic knitting.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
I do knit socks. Measurements are roughly 9" long, 9" around the ball of the foot, and 8" right above the ankle.
23. When is your birthday?
So, there you have it. I think this exchange is going to be fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the One Skein exchange, even though my secret pal's final package was stolen. (Heidi, if you're reading this, I haven't forgotten about you. I've got new yarn so I can recreate the scarf!)
Now, excuse me. I hear a business plan calling me. (And Emma just placed one of her furry mice on my leg. Clearly she's not hearing the call of the business plan!)