Sunday, April 16, 2006

Never Say Never

A long time ago (okay, maybe not that long ago) when I first started knitting and began the stash acquisition, I was focused on reasonably-priced natural fibers. I'd read other knitter's blogs and they were using yarns that I never heard of...Rowan, Debbie Bliss, and so on. After I saw the prices of these yarns and how tiny the balls were, I swore that I'd never buy designer yarn. It's too expensive and too...trendy.

Never say never.

When I purchased the Rowan Cotton Glace for the Lace-edged Cardigan (can't Debbie Bliss come up with catchier names for her sweaters?), I started down the slippery slope, although I didn't know it at the time. I justified the Adrienne Vittadini yarn purchase because it was the right weight and color for the baby blanket and it was 40% off. But I swatched it on the way home today and I'm in love!

This yarn is an absolute dream to knit. It's soft and the resulting fabric is very lustrous, like pearls. I'm now having difficulty justifying using this yarn for a baby blanket, even though it is for a friend of my husband. I'm also wondering if I can find good deals on this yarn. I'm addicted, I'm afraid. Please keep me away from the cashmere and qiviut!

I finally took a picture of the kittens on the kitten blanket:



Pretty cute, eh?

3 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

I remember the first time I bought that "pricey" yarn. It's soooo easy to get hooked. And then came spinning...it's a scary cycle (but a fun one :) Love the kittens!!!

Emma said...

Those kittens are so darn cute! What a great pattern.

Sheepish Annie said...

Thanks for the vacation "shout-out." I must say that I am enjoying it. (Kitchener Stitch aside) I think what bothers me about that finishing technique is that I can't seem to make it "make sense" in my head. My mind wanders and...whoops! Can't seem to recall where I was in the process. :)