Thursday, January 01, 2009

Happy New Year!

It's hard to believe that 2008 is gone. It went by so fast! So what was 2008 all about?

Knitting
I managed to finish several pairs of socks for me and Tom, as well as at least one very old UFO (which technically isn't really finished because I still have to weave in the ends and block it). While not the most productive of knitting years, it was still good. I attempted some lace, which I really enjoyed, although I need to be in a place where there is no distraction. I haven't been able to quite get in the groove, though, for non-distracted knitting. There's something about having a kitten around...

Knitting goals for 2009: Knit more socks, finish a couple more UFOs, and try to knit a sweater.

Spinning
It was a very slow year for spinning. In fact, I might not have touched the wheel at all.

Spinning goals for 2009: Spin more, preferably finishing two of the packages from the first Wooly Wonka exotic fibers club. Now that the screened porch is complete, I'll have a nice place to spin in the spring and summer.

Running
It was an amazing year running-wise. It started off slow (I was still in a hypothyroid/low iron/vitamin D deficient state). But my running really took off in the spring and I never looked back. The first several months were spent running slow (12+ minutes/mile) and short (maybe four or five miles, max). Gradually, my pace and distance increased. I met my goal of running the JFK 50 Mile. All told, I logged 1015.98 miles in 2008 and watched my pace drop to about 8:30 (for short runs).

Running goals for 2009: Run more ultra marathons (a 50K is already on the schedule for the end of March), and qualify for the Boston Marathon (I need to run a 4:05 marathon, a 9:22 pace or something like it).

I learned a lot in 2008, especially about breaking perceptions about myself. I'm finally beginning to think that maybe I'm a runner. Turning 50 doesn't mean that you're over the hill. I'm in the best shape ever...even when I was doing a lot of caving and rock climbing in my late 20s and early 30s, I didn't come close to having the cardiovascular fitness or stamina that I have now. It's an amazing metamorphosis.

I also learned that having one of these is really kind of cool (it was a gift from Tom for Christmas). I'm particularly enamored of the music function. How did I ever live without an MP3 player?! To date, I've loaded 53 albums and still have 5GB left. And I can listen to my music anywhere! I haven't even begun to explore the power of the Storm.

What goals have you set for 2009?

3 comments:

PurlingPirate said...

2008 kicked me in the stomach several times. I plan on just surviving 2009.

Sheepish Annie said...

I'd say it was a good year for you, overall. Let's hope that 2009 is even better!

I'm not much of a goal setter, myself. I like to see what the year brings and then work with what I get. Of course, a goal or two probably wouldn't hurt...

Happy New Year!

Sheepish Annie said...

I'd say it was a good year for you, overall. Let's hope that 2009 is even better!

I'm not much of a goal setter, myself. I like to see what the year brings and then work with what I get. Of course, a goal or two probably wouldn't hurt...

Happy New Year!