Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Productive

I've been fairly productive around here...well,productive in a fibery sort of way. There was actual spinning on Sunday and I thought Tom took a picture of me in action, but it wasn't on the camera. It turned out that he was taking a video of me in action but it didn't work. So, you'll just have to take my word for it. I still can't spin a soft, lofty yarn. I adjusted the tension on both the brake band and the drive band, but no luck. It's still a somewhat hard, slightly over-twisted worsted type yarn. But I'm spinning a finer yarn now, something that resembles sport-weight. And it's even. But oh, to be able to spin sock yarn!

The blanket continues to progress, as does the Jaywalker. Nothing to show though; both pieces are looking a little longer.

I started taking yoga again; it felt so good to be back in the class. My teacher, Annie, is wonderful. She's very observant and provides a lot of verbal cues for getting the pose right. Annie is also good at providing suggestions for making the poses attainable for those who are challenged by them. I've heard so many horror stories about teachers who expect the student to be able to do the poses perfectly.

I also decided to start running this week. Big mistake. My last run was about a month ago and I had very little ITB pain, so I figured I was good to go again. About a mile into the run, my knee started hurting and it didn't stop. So, I'm going to have to find an alternative source of aerobic exercise. I'm really bummed.

On a slightly more positive note, we have babies!



I took this picture on Sunday; they were still hatching! I'm not sure what type of bird, though. We've had house finches nest in ferns before, but there's also been a wren hanging around. Wrens are nest in cavities,though, so I suspect it's a house finch family.

Today's DailyOm was about wildlife in our midst, which I thought was a propos for the Trekking knit along. Here's a not-so-brief excerpt:

Because both cities and tightly packed suburbs offer wildlife bountiful nooks and crannies in which to hide, it can be difficult to spot the animals that live in our midst. Many thrive among paved streets, sidewalks, buildings, parking lots, and high-rises. There are animals in abundance burrowing in the soil of center medians and tiny backyard gardens, making nests in the trees that line broad and busy avenues, and buzzing round the flowers that beautify our parks...

Season by season, cities offer diverse ecosystems for you to explore. If your search for urban and suburban wildlife is challenging, try to look at your community with an animal's eyes...

Recognizing that you share your city with a wide range of animals can make you feel like a part of the grand circle of life and help you appreciate the importance of a healthy urban environment. You can admire the hardiness and adaptability of the urban animal while developing a sense of stewardship that inspires you to become their champion. The shrill calls of birds, the hum of bees, and the sweet squeaks of city-dwelling mammals can be a symphony that help you develop a deeper connection with the nature world.


Grab your sock, get outside, and find and appreciate some nature!

1 comment:

Sheepish Annie said...

It took me a couple of years to get my spinning down to fingering weight...but my learning curve is steeper than most and I rarely ask for help. Still a fun process!