Monday, May 09, 2005

Mothers are Love

I'm returned from my trip home to visit my folks. I spent a little bit of time with my grandmother, who is in a nursing home. She's 94 and is still going strong, mostly. I only visit a couple of times a year and she's always so glad to see me. Her face lights up and she smiles and seems to be pleased as punch. While I'm glad that my presence can give her such pleasure, I feel bad that I don't visit more often. I'm such a bad granddaughter in that respect.

I was doing show and tell with the socks that I've knitted and Dad told me a story: A woman is driving along and while she's driving she's knitting. A trooper goes by and is horrified that this woman is driving and knitting, so he turns on the lights and sirens, rolls down the window and shouts "Pull over!" She looks at him and yells back "Scarf!"

My father cracks me up.

My mother wasn't feeling very good on Saturday, so we didn't do much other than visit my grandmother, go to Bon Vivant to pick up some Belgian beers for my husband, and go out to dinner. Despite having reservations at 7:00, we still had to wait 30 minutes before we were seated. And during that time, my mother started feeling worse and worse. Dinner, when it came, was pretty good. The desserts did not thrill, though. Back home we went and Mom went right to sleep.

On Sunday we went over to my brother's house for a picnic. My other two brothers were there and five nieces and nephews. It was so much fun and the food was so good! Steamed shrimp, fried shrimp, fried flounder, hushpuppies, coleslaw, potato salad, shrimp gumbo, garlic bread, and the piece de resistance, homemade vanilla ice cream! Yum, YUM!

The older kids are at an age where they're not quite so sullen. I played hacky sack with the two nephews (I'm pretty lame at hacky sack) and swung on the swing with the youngest nieces. Jenna, the youngest niece, kept skipping around and saying "ribbit," pretending she was a frog. So I joined her and hopped around like a frog and ribbitted. There's something very freeing about being silly. I should do it more often.

On the knitting front, I cast on the second sock (thanks to the advice from Claire and Dudley). I've finished the leg and half the heel. That's a record for me, I think. And the best part? The stripes on the self striping yarn are matching up! Woo hoo!

Pictures later...no time tonight.

No comments: