Sunday, February 24, 2008

For the Most Part

I'm back, after a somewhat long absence. The blogging muse took leave of me and a weekend morning schedule change left me with no blogging time. Plus this has been a difficult winter for me, what with the health issues and potential dietary changes. Toss in non-winter weather and that makes for one discombulated Libran.

I'm adjusting, albeit a bit grumpily. My comment during cooking shows that showcase the ingredients I'm supposed to avoid? "Mmmmm....allergens!" Forays into the gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free manufactured food realm have turned up some surprisingly tasty items. The Foods By George brownies are excellent. Their English muffins are acceptable. The Tinkyada brand of pastas is also excellent. Even Tom liked the spaghetti. The various gluten-free, etc. breads are challenging--very dry and crumbly, with a rather slick mouth-feel. The Energ-G brown rice loaf isn't too bad, but it lacks the chewiness of real bread. I'm having two more tests done to confirm the initial diagnosis. It's probably overkill, but I want to be sure that these dietary changes are absolutely necessary before I start modifying the way we eat. If it was just me, it wouldn't be a problem. But I've got a skeptic for a husband (which is good) and a conclusive diagnosis will go a long way to ensure compliance, especially since he does a lot of the cooking.

0-50 in 11
That's my motto for this year. Zero to 50 miles in 11 months! I've started training for the JFK 50, which accounts for the lack of early morning blogging time on weekends now. My longest run so far has been about six miles (which isn't long at all). I was hoping for seven this weekend, but a bout of the flu has me sidelined. My plan is to increase mileage slowly, to keep the ITB problem at bay. There are at least three other women in the club who want to run the JFK 50, and we all run at about the same pace. Having a group will make training so much easier. For some masochistic reason, I'm looking forward to this challenge. Tom can't be the only one in this family to run an ultra marathon!

Knitting Progress
Surprisingly, there has been knitting progress. Not much, to be sure, but it's progress, nonetheless. And the progress has resulted in some FOs. I finished the hat for my friend at the Miami Marathon (to read the trip report, go here). Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of hat, but it fit her perfectly and she says she receives a lot of compliments when she wears it. Also on the FO list is a pair of yoga socks for my yoga teacher.



She was intrigued by the idea and offered to be a guinea pig. I knit them using KnitPicks' Andean Silk. The yarn was a pleasure to work with. The color did run a bit when I washed them, but I don't think it's anything that a little white vinegar rinse can't fix.

On the "Almost an FO" list are the Gentleman's Fancy Socks. I've started the toe on the second sock and am beginning to wonder if I'm going to have enough yarn to finish the project. I had a mere 19 inches left from the first sock. With any luck, I'll have this sock finished today.



What's next on the project list? I'd like to continue working on the Counterpoised Shawl, but will wait until my brain is a little more alert. Somehow lace and a less than alert brain a good combination do not make. I might dig out the Fern Leaf Shawl and try to finish it; it's a fairly simple lace pattern. The Monkey socks will move to the forefront of the sock projects. And then there's a simple tank that I might make for the Belize trip in April, using yarn that I got from ArtFibers in San Francisco a couple of years ago:



It's a wool/mohair/silk blend and is very yummy. On second though, maybe that fiber combination is not the best for a sailing trip in the tropics. Hmmm...

So, lots to do! Time to get started!

Happy knitting!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oooh those socks are CUUUUUTE! :)

can't wait to see a tank knit up w/ the alfabeto. :) it's going to be hot!

Anne P said...

LOVE the yoga socks! Those are great.

Just take it easy - that flu thing that's been going around has been awful. I'm almost to week 6 of trying to get over it. When I rode this weekend, I was fine for about 10 minutes and then got so short of breath, I had to just quit and sit and cough for a while. Blech.

Sheepish Annie said...

Yoga socks...genius!!! Love those! I also think that the Gentleman's Fancy socks are pretty cool. I'd say you've been filling your non-blogging time pretty well!

Mia said...

The cooking shows are for those who have no real desire to be healthy when you look at some of them. Paula Deen comes to mind.

There are some good dairy free cookbooks out there if you need them. And I would suggest some began cookbooks which are always dairy free. I hope things work out.

And I will be there to cheer you on for the JFK. Just remind me ahead of time so I can be there.

LizKnits said...

very cool yoga socks... thanks for the link to the pattern.

I'm gluten free too and have tried lots of stuff ... some very bad. As for bread, the only stuff I like is the Glutino brand "Favorite Sandwich Bread" mix ... invest in a bread maker and you can have good old white bread in no time flat. Glutino also has some very good cookies (premade ... my favorite are chocolate wafers with a chocolate "frosting."). We've also found several good cake mixes... I could look up the brands when I get home if your interested but I think they are namaste and glutino. Best chocolate chip cookie mix comes from Pamelas.

Pamela's baking mix is definitely my favorite when it comes to pancakes and having a flour substitute (we use is as a thickener and with corn meal to create a batter for fried fish).

Good luck with your quest for better food!

Anonymous said...

Cool Yoga socks! You will have to let us know how she likes them. Mmmmm... Artfibers! My Tuscany shawl is done in Artfibers silk and I LOVE it. I can't wait to see your project! It's great that you are getting verification on your allergies... I am sorry for your challenges.